This is such a versatile salad, it’s a must-have in your repertoire. It can be eaten hot of the stove or cold on a sunny day. By leaving out the chicken, you can easily make this a vegetarians favorite or a tasty side dish.
Serves 2 as main course, or 3-4 as a side dish
150 gr. Couscous
250 ml. Chicken stock (use vegetable stock for the vegetarian version)
Handful of chopped parsley
250 gr. Chicken, cubed (leave out for vegetarian version or replace with veggie alternative)
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic
1 tsp ground Cumin
2 Red beets ( approx. 250 gr. pre-cooked)
125 ml. Crème Fraîche (optional)
– Bring the stock to a boil, then turn off the heat. Add the couscous and stir well. Put the lid back on the pan and and leave for 5 min. Add the finely chopped parsley and set aside until later.
Preparation of the couscous may vary per brand, so always check package instructions for the amount of water/ stock you’ll need to add to get the best result.
– Grate the beets on a medium to large size grate. Set aside.
– Add some oil or butter to a frying pan and bake the chicken until done. Add the onion and crushed garlic and bake until soft. Add the zest of the lemon and the cumin. Put the grated beets in with the chicken mixture and warm through.
– Spoon the couscous through the chicken mixture and combine well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
– Serve with a mixture of crème fraîche, salt, pepper and lemon juice.