This meal might be cheap but the flavour is immense. Sweet beets, creamy mash (lactose free!) and salty sour lardons will fill your belly with goodness. It’s also a good way to use left over beets, for example from the Beet this Salad– recipe.
800 gr. floury Potatoes
1 Egg yolk
25 gr. Butter (for lactose free version: use vegetable based (margarine) or you could even leave it out)
150 gr. Lardons (or pieces of bacon)
2 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Ginger syrup
Pinch of chili pepper
1 Onion, roughly chopped
2 Red beets (about 250 gr. and pre-cooked)
– Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, ginger syrup with a pinch of chili pepper and a pinch of salt. Put the lardons in the mixture and let it marinade for 10 minutes.
– Peel the potatoes and cut them in chunks. Boil them in a big pan of salted water for approx. 25 min. until they start to fall apart.
– Melt a bit of butter or oil in a frying pan and bake the lardons for 6-8 minutes. Take them out of the pan and set aside.
– Fry the onion in the frying pan until they just start to color. Cut the beets in small cubes and add to the onion, warm through for 5 minutes.
– Before draining the potatoes, set aside a cup of cooking fluids. Drain the potatoes. Mash the potatoes and add the egg yolk and butter (if using). Add one spoon of cooking fluids at the time until the mash is even and smooth.
– Add the beet mixture to the mashed potatoes and stir through.
– Serve with the lardons.
Note: Always make sure yourself that all the ingredients that you use are suitable for your allergy, in this case lactose intolerance.