Without too much trouble you can put a tasty, filling and full of veggies- meal on the table. It’s creamy but not too heavy, so ideal for the summer. Want to have a healthy meal? No problem: just use whole grain pasta, replace the chicken for turkey and buy the light version of crème fraîche.
135 gr. Pasta (I used simple macaroni)
200 gr. Chicken breast, cut in small pieces
1 Onion, finely chopped
125 gr. Mushrooms, sliced
200 gr. Cabbage, shredded (I used oxheart cabbage, but Chinese or white will also work)
20 gr. Flour
250 ml. Chicken Stock (from a cube)
125 ml. Crème Fraîche
Parsley, chopped (to serve, optional)
– Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in salted water.
– Melt a bit of butter or oil in a frying pan and bake the pieces of chicken until done. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Take out of the pan and set aside.
– Put the chopped onion in the frying pan and bake for 3-5 min. until soft. Add the mushrooms and bake for a few minutes until they just start to colour. Add the cabbage and stir through for a few minutes until they just start to shrink.
– Sift in the flour and mix it well so the vegetable fluids are all absorbed. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for 10 min.
– Add the crème fraîche and stir through. Season to taste. Add the chicken to reheat (also great to serve lukewarm, without reheating).
TIP: Make sure once you’ve added crème fraîche to a sauce it won’t boil (too long), that may split your sauce.
Serve the pasta with a scoop of the cabbage mixture and the chicken. Finish off with some chopped parsley.