This tomato stuffed with egg is a great way to start a dinner. It’s simple, tasty and meat-free. And it’s a good recipe to experiment with; add some chopped slices of ham, a bit of smoked mackerel or replace the Parmesan for cheddar or even grated Manchego cheese.
4 big Beef(steak) Tomatoes
1 small Onion or 1 big Shallot
Handful of Parsley (20-40 gr.)
50 gr. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 slice of Bread, made into crumbs
– Preheat the oven to 180C (electric).
– Wash the tomatoes and cut the tops off. Take all the pulp/flesh and seeds out, making sure not to break the outside. Season the insides with salt and pepper.
– Chop the onion, tomato tops and parsley finely and mix with the breadcrumbs and half the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– For each of the tomatoes: beat 1 egg through 1/4 of the onion mixture and pour into the tomato. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over all four of the filled tomatoes.
– Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cheese begins to colour.