Loempias, or spring rolls, are very versatile and great party food. These ones are made from rice paper and a cold filling of vegetables and marinated chicken with a sweet and spicy dip. Make them before hand or let your guests make them themselves, guaranteed success.
Part of the rijsttafel-recipes. The recipe for the dip sauce will follow in the next post.
Makes 6 rolls
250 gr. Chicken breast
2 tbsp Ketjap Manis
1 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Lemon/ Lime juice
1/4 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Djahé (ginger powder)
150 gr. Carrots
1 Paprika (red)
1/2 Red Onion
2 Spring Onions
125 gr. Bean Sprouts
6 sheets Rice Paper
– Cut the chicken into small, long strips.
– Add to a bowl: Ketjap Manis, honey, lemon juice, chili powder and djahé. Mix well and stir in the chicken. Marinade for 30 minutes.
– Heat a bit of oil in a frying pan and bake the chicken in 4-6 minutes. Put aside.
– Chop all the vegetables julienne, this means in very thin long strips or rings.
– Prepare the rice paper according to package instructions.
– Put a bit of every vegetable and a few pieces of chicken in the middle of each sheet of rice paper. Fold the sides over the heap of filling. Then roll it up.
Serve with an arrangement of sauces; Ketjap Manis, Chili sauce, sweet and sour sauce or any other after your own taste.