Is it cake? Is it pudding? Well, something in the middle. It’s soft, not too sweet with lovely summer fruits from your own garden. It goes very well as a dessert with some whipped cream or ice cream but nobody will turn it down for tea either.
500 gr. Strawberries
80 gr. Caster sugar (white or light brown)
100 gr. Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
50 gr. Butter, melted
200 ml. Crème Fraîche
250 ml. Full Milk
– Preheat the oven to 175 C (electric oven).
– Clean the strawberries, take the crowns off and slice out the white inside with a small knife. Cut them in half or quarters, depending on the size.
– Put the eggs and caster sugar in a mixer and mix until light.
– Keep mixing while adding the flour, 1/2 tsp of salt, melted butter, crème fraîche and milk. Mix for a few minutes until all is well combined and you have a smooth mixture. It’ll stay very liquid.
– Add the mixture to a low cake tin and toss the strawberries in, dividing them well over the tin.
– Bake the cake in 40-45 minutes until lightly browned and done.
– Straight after taking it out of the oven, sprinkle with a good amount of caster sugar.
Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice and/or marinated strawberries*.
* For marinated strawberries: put some strawberries in a bowl with 6 tbsp of red wine, 20 gr. caster sugar and put in the fridge for at least an hour.