Pintxos are basically tapas from the Basque region almost always served on a piece of bread. They are a very important part of Basque culture and represent the assets of the region such as their great seafood. I made a choice for chicken and shrimps and I serve the bread separately to give people a bit more choice.
250 gr. Chicken breast
1 tsp Smoked Paprika Powder
1 clove Garlic
Salt, Pepper and Chili powder
10 big Shrimps/ Gambas (intestines taken out)
– Cut the chicken in big chunks. Chop the onion finely.
– Heat some oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Bake for a few minutes until translucent. Add the crushed garlic and bake for a minute.
– Add the chicken and brown lightly.
– Season with the smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and a pinch of chili powder.
– Turn down the heat and bake the chicken for 5-10 minutes until done. Take the chicken out of the pan and keep it warm.
– Add the shrimps to the pan in which you baked the chicken. The seasoning left in the oil will be enough to just lightly flavour your shrimps.
– Bake them on a low heat for 3-5 minutes until pink. If you’ve used unpeeled shrimps, you can peel them now.
Serve the chicken and shrimps with some freshly chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.