During the winter months, food habits change; from light meals to full, hearty and filling dishes. This recipe is a bit in between. It’s filling after a long day outside in the cold, but also light and fresh because of the onion and smoked chicken. You can always make it a bit more hearty by adding grated cheese to the mash and meatballs and gravy at the end.
650 gr Potatoes
125 ml Crème fraîche
50-100 ml Double Cream or Cooking Cream Light or Milk (to taste or depending on how light you want it)
25 gr. Butter
250-300 gr. Endive
150 gr. Smoked Chicken
1 Red Onion
– Peel the potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Boil them for 15-20 minutes until done.
– Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
– Drain the potatoes and mash them.
– Add the crème fraîche, cream and butter, mash it through. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Wash the endive and cut into small pieces. Cut the red onion and smoked chicken into small pieces.
– Add the endive, onion and smoked chicken. Mix through well. If it’s too dry just add a bit more cream.
– Put the mixture into an oven prove dish.
– Bake for 20 minutes.
– Raw endive is also very tasty so you actually skip the part where it goes into the oven. You might want to sweat the onion first though to make it a little less sharp.
– Like a bit of heat: add a tablespoon of mustard or even a finely chopped red chilly.
– Lactose free is also possible: instead of the cream and crème fraîche you could use an egg yolk and some of the cooking liquid from the potatoes. The butter can be changed to margarine/ vegetable based butter or a splash of olive oil.