First of all: Happy New Year everyone. I hope this will be a good one with lots of good food and new recipe adventures!
And now over to the first recipe of the year: Winter meets summer. Winter-food in the form of hearty kale and potatoes get some company from warm and sunny Spain by the addition of chorizo, chili and smoked paprika. It’s a delicious one-pot-meal which is very friendly for your wallet and very easy to make.
1 kg Potatoes
250-300 gr. Chorizo
3 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Paprika powder (mild)
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika (sweet or hot after your own taste)
1 tsp Chili powder ( or a finely chopped fresh chili)
500 ml Beef Stock
500 gr. Kale (washed and finely chopped)
– Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes. Cut the onions into half rings. Cut the chorizo into bite size chunks.
– Heat some oil or butter in a big souppan/ casserole and bake the chorizo for a couple of minutes. Take the meat out of the pan and set aside.
– Add the onions and grated garlic to the pan and sweat for a few minutes until soft.
– Add the two types of paprika powder and the chili powder to the onion and stir through.
– Put the potatoes into the pan, together with the stock. Bring to the boil and let it simmer, with the lid on, for 10 minutes.
– Add the kale to the pan and stir through. Let this just simmer for another 5 minutes, without the lid on.
– Put the chorizo back in and warm through for a minute or two. Season to taste with salt and pepper.