You can make soup from just about anything- so why not give broccoli stumps a try. Most people throw away the stumps of the broccoli simply because they don’t know it’s edible or because they think it can’t be any good. Let me prove otherwise with this healthy, lactose free, vegetarian soup made from ingredients that normally go to waste.
1 stump of Broccoli (just the light green bits)
1 stick Celery
1 clove Garlic
600 ml Stock (chicken or vegetable)
Any left over fresh herbs: parsley, chives, thyme, mint etc.
– Cut the onion, broccoli stump and celery roughly.
– Heat some oil or butter in a small soup pan and add the onion. Wait a few minutes until it starts to soften.
– Add the broccoli stump and celery, as well as crushed garlic and heat for a few minutes.
– Add the stock and bring to a boil. Boil on a low heat, with the lid on, for about 15 minutes until the broccoli stumps are soft.
– Take off the heat and blend it until you get a smooth soup.
– Put back on a low heat and season to taste with salt, pepper and (optional) freshly chopped herbs.
Serve with toast.
This is a very basic soup that can be upgraded with many things. Why not add some roasted pine nuts or croutons for a bit of a crunch.
For a non vegetarian version: add small cubes of cooked ham or left over roast chicken.
And for a non lactose free version: finish the soup with a dollop of sour cream or some double cream.