As in many cultures that contain spicy food, yogurt is a welcome guest at the Turkish table. It it used in soups, drinks and from salad to dip. I went for Haydari to accompany my Mezzes; it’s sour and fresh and therefore great as a salad or dip.
Makes 3-4 dl
1 big Cucumber
300 ml (Greek) Yogurt
1-2 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Dried Mint
– Wash the cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and grate it on a coarse grater. Put the grated cucumber in a sieve and push out most of the liquid by pressing it with the back of a spoon.
– Mix the yogurt, crushed garlic (1 or 2 cloves to taste), olive oil, mint and cucumber.
– Cut half a bunch of dill finely and mix in with the yogurt.
– Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Leave to rest for a minimum of an hour in the fridge for the flavors to mix.